Death toll in mine collapse in Central African Republic rises to more than 100

Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

BANGUI, Central African Republic (AP) — The death toll from a gold mine collapse in a western part of Central African Republic has risen to more than 100, a Red Cross volunteer involved in relief efforts and a local official said Wednesday.

The low-tech, artisanal gold mine collapsed Tuesday morning in the village of Zamboye, in the Nana-Mambere prefecture, near the border with Cameroon.

Gervais Ganagoroh, a local Red Cross volunteer involved in relief efforts, said more than 100 dead bodies have been recovered so far, while several survivors are critically injured.

Bertrand Be Yangué, a member of the Zamboye youth council, also said the death toll is more than 100, adding that it’s likely to rise, as several people are still missing and others are trapped under the rubble.

“Finding them alive would be a miracle,” Yangué said. “We are saddened and heartbroken to see young men and women perish after coming to the mines to save their families from despair,” he added.

 

Salem News Channel Today

Sponsored Links

On Air & Up Next

  • The Scott Jennings Show
     
    Jennings is battle-tested on cable news, a veteran of four presidential   >>
     
  • Best Stocks Now
    3:00PM - 4:00PM
     
    As stock market volatility rises to all time high, the need for value and   >>
     
  • SEKULOW
    4:00PM - 5:00PM
     
    Listeners make an appointment to never miss the Jay Sekulow show, always with   >>
     
  • Cats and Cosby
    5:00PM - 6:00PM
     
    John Catsimatidis, Successful businessman and former NYC Mayoral candidate and   >>
     
  • The Arthur Aidala Power Hour
     
    The Arthur Aidala Power Hour blends Arthur's courtroom experiences with his   >>
     

See the Full Program Guide