Italian minister says Modena attack raises integration concerns amid migration debate

Blood is seen next to a destroyed car on a street of Modena, Italy, Saturday, May 16, 2026. (Lapresse via AP)
Blood is seen next to a destroyed car on a street of Modena, Italy, Saturday, May 16, 2026. (Lapresse via AP)
Financial Police patrol a scene after a car incident in a street of Modena, Italy, Saturday, May 16, 2026. (Lapresse via AP)
Financial Police patrol a scene after a car incident in a street of Modena, Italy, Saturday, May 16, 2026. (Lapresse via AP)
Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

ROME (AP) — Italy’s interior minister said Monday that a car-ramming and stabbing attack in the northern city of Modena by an Italian citizen of Moroccan descent highlights the challenges around integration and social distress.

Eight people were wounded, four critically, when the 31-year-old man drove into pedestrians Saturday before crashing into a shop window.

Despite ruling out terrorism, Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi said it cannot be dismissed as an isolated incident. He said investigators must still fully examine the factors behind the attack, suggesting social marginalization and perceived discrimination might have played a role.

His comments came as some Italian politicians seized on the attack to voice xenophobic rhetoric, and also renewed focus on so-called second-generation Italians — people born or raised in Italy to foreign parents — who are often at the center of debates over identity, citizenship and integration.

“At this stage, there are no elements that correspond to the classic profile of a terrorist who plans violent actions,” Piantedosi said in an interview with daily Il Giornale, noting the man's mental health concerns and social distress. “But all this cannot lead us to dismiss the attack as the act of an isolated madman.”

Italian authorities said the suspect, identified as Salim El Koudri, attempted to flee and slightly wounded a bystander with a knife before being overpowered by passersby and detained by police. Prosecutors arrested him on charges including massacre and aggravated injury. A court hearing on whether to validate his detention was postponed to Tuesday morning.

Political debate on migration heats up

The suspect, born in Italy and university-educated, had been diagnosed with a personality disorder and had shown frustration over his work and social condition, local authorities said. They said the man underwent treatment in 2022 for what officials described as a schizoid disorder before dropping out of care.

Still, the case has fueled political debate in Italy, where controlling and limiting migration is a key priority in Premier Giorgia Meloni’s right-wing agenda.

Deputy Premier Matteo Salvini, leader of the anti-migrant League, referred to the suspect as a “second-generation criminal” in a social post, renewing calls for stricter migration measures.

Opposition politicians criticized the government for seeking to use this case to toughen immigration rules.

“Even before the responsibilities and circumstances surrounding the incident had emerged, the deputy premier (Salvini) transformed a dramatic episode into an anti-immigrant rally,” said Carlo Calenda, leader of opposition party Azione.

Piantedosi, however, sought to draw a distinction between the Modena attack and the government’s migration policies, stressing the suspect’s Italian citizenship — while noting that doesn't guarantee successful integration.

He highlighted an email El Koudri sent to his university containing insulting language against Christians before later apologizing, suggesting possible resentment linked to perceived discrimination.

“He may have been driven by resentment linked to a sense of having suffered discrimination,” Piantedosi said, cautioning that investigators are still working to establish the full motive of the attack. He said the incident raises “profound questions” about integration, identity and marginalization, particularly among some second-generation immigrants.

Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani stressed on Sunday that the man is an Italian citizen, not a migrant. He was expected to travel to Modena later Monday to visit the wounded.

Modena's mayor dismisses generalizations about foreigners

Under Italy’s citizenship system, many are not automatically recognized as Italian at birth and may have to apply later in life. They may also face pressures linked to integration, including challenges in education, employment and social inclusion, despite growing up in Italy.

Modena Mayor Massimo Mezzetti called generalizations about foreigners “nonsense,” noting that two Egyptian migrants were among those who helped stop the attacker.

Thousands of residents gathered in Modena’s central Piazza Grande over the weekend in a show of solidarity with the victims.

A woman remains in life-threatening condition after the crash, while other victims also sustained severe injuries, officials said.

 

Salem News Channel Today

Sponsored Links

On Air & Up Next

  • The Joe Piscopo Show
    6:00AM - 10:00AM
     
    There is something about Joe that makes you feel at home. Wake up with Joe and   >>
     
  • The Mike Gallagher Show
    10:00AM - 12:00PM
     
    Mike Gallagher is one of the most listened-to radio talk show hosts in America.   >>
     
  • The Alex Marlow Show
    12:00PM - 1:00PM
     
    An Alternative Voice in a Time of Conformity
     
  • The Scott Jennings Show
     
    Jennings is battle-tested on cable news, a veteran of four presidential   >>
     
  • The Hugh Hewitt Show
    3:00PM - 4:00PM
     
    Hugh Hewitt is one of the nation’s leading bloggers and a genuine media   >>
     

See the Full Program Guide